What is Psoriasis?
It is a skin disorder that causes skin cells to multiply ten times faster than usual. It makes the skin build red patches covered with white scales. They can grow anywhere but usually show up on scalp, elbows, knees, and lower back. While Psoriasis cannot be transferred from person to person, it can sometimes by a byproduct of genetics.
What are the symptoms?
- Lots of red skin often covered with silver-coloured scales. They might be itchy and painful, crack and or bleed. In certain cases, they can grow and merge, covering larger areas of the skin.
- It can affect your fingernails and toenails, making them discoloured and causing pitting of the nails. They may also crumble or detach from the nail bed.
- You might see scales of crust on the scalp, as well.
- Some individuals with psoriasis can end up having a type of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis, which causes pain and swelling in the joints.
What is the use of Otezla? How do you use it?
Otezla is used to treat a certain type of arthritis (psoriatic arthritis). It helps decrease pain and swelling, potentially improving flexibility in the affected joints. For plaque psoriasis, it might help reduce redness, thickening and scaling of the skin that occurs with the condition. This medication is taken orally with or without food as prescribed by your doctor, typically twice daily.
- 75% clearer skin in some people after just 4 months with reduced redness, thickness and scaliness of plaques
- It works inside your body to reduce inflammation
- The prescribing information have no requirements for initial or routine blood testing
- It is specifically tested and FDA approved for the treatment of people with plaque psoriasis
Otezla side effects:
Diarrhea, nausea / vomiting, loss of appetite, headache, or weight loss may occur.